It has been a while since I carved a spoon and showed the progress on my blog. I took down some limbs on a black cherry tree on my property and decided to use it for spoons.
This is the first time I have carved cherry and it cuts so well. It really is a joy to carve. I am always surprised and amazed at how different woods smell. When I started peeling the bark off the strong aroma of cherry started filling the air. I always think that is cool to smell aromas from fresh woods that are scented like food. Carving pear wood is the same way. These woods kind of make me hungry for what they smell like. Hehe..
Anyways this limb was only 2″ in diameter so I was limited on spoon designs. However that did not deter me. I am finding that the more I carve the less worried I am about these things. I guess it comes with getting faster. If a spoon does not work out it is not a big deal as it would have been when I first started.
I started by splitting the log in half and then laying out the general design with a permanent marker. If I am carving wood that has had a little time to dry I use pencil, but when it is fresh off the tree it is usually too wet and I find that a permanent marker works better.
Then I use my Hans Karlsson Sloyd Axe to do most of the stock removal. This axe has proven itself to be a great asset to my carving. This has become my favorite carving axe.
Next I use my Mora 120 carving knife to refine the profile.
After a little more work this is where I am at right now. This time I opted not to use the Mora 164 full curved carving knife for hollowing out the spoonook (my term for the bowl part of a spoon, pretty clever eh?) and instead decided to use some of my new Pfeil gouges. This works so much easier than the curved knife and I think I will probably stick with this method from now on. I still need to spend one more carving session and then I will be finished. At that time I will post the final photo’s of the completed spoon.
Thanks for looking and keep an eye out for the finished spoon sometime this week.
The Greebe Grabber is a simple grass grabbing or small game getting field point accessory. I named it in honor of its maker, me. The name Greebe is one that I use on various forums so went with that. This little guy came about one evening when the phone and internet were out of service for some reason. Seems like I get more done when the net is down so while it is an inconvenience, it does motivate me to come up with new things.
The idea was simple. I wanted an accessory that could be used with the typical screw in field points or blunt points that could turn my arrows into a more devastating small game getter. I also wanted something that would grab the grass when the I missed the target so as to keep from losing my arrows deep under the grass and dirt. Where I live this is important since there is thick brush and grass everywhere.
Being the frugal type as well as being inventive, I decided to come up with my own solution instead of relying on a store bought device. I wanted something that would be quick and simple to build. It had to be from free materials already laying around the shop. I had saved probably close to 100 ft of 5/8” metal banding from some pallets of heavy machines shipped to my shop and that seemed to be an ideal material since it is some sort of spring steel.
First order of business is to cut an exact square from the banding. This is fairly simple. You just take a pair of calipers, set then to .625” and mark a line. Once you have your line just take a pair of tin snips and cut the line.
Once you have a square, you need to do a little bit of layout. First you need to take half of the width of your banding, which in my case is .3125”. You then take your calipers and make a mark across the center on each side. This gives you a cross that marks the center for drilling your hole and it also creates a position for bending in the corners with a pair of pliers.
Now take your pliers and grip the corner of the banding so that the lines going out to the edge are even with the end of the pliers. Then you can put the edge of the pliers up to the edge of your bench and bend the corner up. You want to bend it to around a 65-70 degree angle. This will leave you with a point that is bent more towards the arrow tip then out to the side. Continue this with all four corners trying to keep them as close to the same as possible.
Next thing to do is drill the hole in the center and then the Greebe Grabber will be finished. I start by center punching where the lines intersect and then drilling with a small drill bit first and then a larger bit which matches your point.
Now you should have a finished Greebe Grabber that can be screwed underneath your field point.
I have found that these work very well for keeping your arrows up out of the grass when stump shooting. The fist thing I did after making a few was to go shoot them at a low angle into deep grass. Every time they stayed up on the grass allowing easy search and retrieval. Using them to shoot cans works very well too. It will punch a hole clean through the can, but when it hits the grass behind the can it pops itself back out so there is no damage to your fletching from passing through the can. I have yet to use them on small game but my suspicion is that they will work devastatingly well.
Go ahead, make a few, and try them out. I think you will like them. Also don’t forget to let me know what you think.